Saturday, September 3, 2011

Getting Started

Finally got some time to do some work. Excited and pumped, got my images, got my music, got my materials and ready to rock and roll. At the moment I have been looking at cigarette packets and their layout as well as its obvious references to consumer culture as well as mass production.

"..We live in a world of representations, wherein our societies, other people, even our own identities, are continually constructed, negotiated and played back to us through a range of representational systems. The task of the artist is to interrupt the flow of representations, to diagnose and to reveal its mechanisms, and thereby play a part in liberating people (ourselves included) from a range of institutions - tangible and intangible - which increasingly control our lives." (Italics mine)


I'ts also a personal problem in the sense that it somehow affects us in an emotional and instinctive way. I recently was involved in a sales company and the thing that struck me the most out of all the things said during training was that it was important to "build up a need" for said product. I quit the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment